About my Blog

This blog is based on the activity I have chosen about making professional 'Barista' coffee. As I have been working in cafe's and bars since I was 13 years of age, I have learnt a lot about making and creating barista coffee. I have since gained a Certificate in Barista through NZQA and I am one of the main barista's where I currently work now. This blog is for me to look deeper in to the activity of making coffee and to pull apart the different components and aspects of the activity. Enjoy!

Monday 10 October 2011

Blog Entry #4 - 06/10/2011

SPIRITUALITY - Making coffee can not only just be a very spiritual experience for the customer/drinker, but it is also a spiritual experience for myself.
I love to do this activity when I have had a rough/busy/hard day studying or doing tech work, as making coffee sends me in to a rhythm I am familiar with and puts me at peace.  Even when there are many orders for coffee's and it gets busy, I am still in my zone where I am familiar with and rather enjoy the busy times.
I like to have a steady list of coffee orders to make, as the process soon becomes a nice rhythmic flow.
As for the receivers of my coffee, they too experience a sense of their own spirituality.  Some people drink coffee to calm them selves during a stressful day, others drink it to stimulate themselves and get ready for a busy day, and some people drink it simply to enjoy it.  People have often said to me that they look forward to the first sip of their coffee each morning as it helps to waken them up and gets them started for the day, Other's say that it has a very peaceful effect on them and drinking their barista coffee each day is their treat and time to relax.
Either way, I believe that coffee has a sense of meaning to all coffee drinkers, each to their own and it is a very spiritual moment for all drinkers, whether they choose to look at it like that or not.

1 comments:

Jaz :) said...

Hi Kendyl,
I am also looking into the occupation of making coffee, and it is interesting to see that you have found spiritual meaning also! Like you this course has really opened my mind to the fact that it is not only a job but has many other outcomes in my life. I like to make coffee to escape the pressures of daily life, like you being a student can be stressful and having an occupation which doesn't relate to study enables me to think about something different. Awesome stuff :) Perhaps look into the importance of spirituality in ones life for your essay and where specifically it meets your spiritual needs. x

Post a Comment