About my Blog

This blog is based on the activity I have chosen about making professional 'Barista' coffee. As I have been working in cafe's and bars since I was 13 years of age, I have learnt a lot about making and creating barista coffee. I have since gained a Certificate in Barista through NZQA and I am one of the main barista's where I currently work now. This blog is for me to look deeper in to the activity of making coffee and to pull apart the different components and aspects of the activity. Enjoy!

Monday 10 October 2011

Blog Entry #5 - 10/10/2011

This week in class we looked at three headings called Labour, Work, and Play.  To focus on the activity of making coffee, I am going to focus on 'Play'.  I have talked about the enjoyment that I get out of doing this activity and this topic is an opportunity for me to elaborate on this.


PLAY - Although I go to my job of making coffee to earn money (labour), and I work and create (work), I also go to play! This week was rather quieter than usual, so I only had a few coffee's at a time to make.  This meant that I was able to take more time on making them than I would during busy times when there is a line of coffees to make and we are busy.  Quieter time = a couple of coffees to make at a time = experiment and play!!!
Since I did not have to rush, I took my time making the coffee's which was a lot of fun for me as I could experiment making new and different patterns on top, and it was also fun for the customers to receive their coffee which had a new and interesting look!
As it is Rugby World Cup time, I noticed that an Australian supporter had come in and ordered a latte.  I decided to make a statement in his coffee and show my support for the NZ team! I poured the milk slowly and wriggled it through the coffee, starting slowly and then got faster, and finally pulling the milk stream down through the middle of the pattern to make a 'silver fern'! I watched as the coffee was taken to his table and he let out a big laugh and said, "Look at that!! A silver fern!!" He looked over at me and asked, "Can you make a kangaroo next time!!".  I laughed back.  This really shows a type of play and fun you can have in the activity of making coffee, and it also draws back from the topic around communication and connection, bringing people together through laughter and humour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment